Unclaimed regions

Got a question about Cubeville or Minecraft? Ask it here and who knows, you might get an answer!
zilkerpark

Unclaimed regions

Post by zilkerpark »

So here's my question. If there's a build that someone makes but doesn't claim in a region, is it considered griefing to break part of it? I'm not talking a base or home, I would obviously leave that alone. That in itself is a different question - why build something but not lay claim to the region to protect it? Anyway, let me get back on topic - I'm talking about players that start building HUGE walls around an area and it's not claimed. Is it griefing if I break it to get through but don't repair it? There are some walls going up near my claimed base and at some point I'm thinking they'll start to become annoying if I have to go out of my way to get around them to get somewhere or if I have to repair them each time I go through. I know we should respect people's builds and I do, but at what point are they considered too much? What's the limit on building a huge wall without claiming the region or applying for City status? Obviously you can't encircle the entire map and say " Ali mine!" but there seems to be some leeway given as far as unclaimed land that people "claim" is theirs and is considered bad form to tear through it.

I asked on the server today, and most replies were along the 'don't grief' line - it's in the tutorial or maybe they don't know how. This isn't about people's home builds but if it were, there's a build near me by a moderator that isn't claimed and I'm pretty sure they know how to claim a region. Regardless, I'm not going to grief that stuff, that's just uncool, my question is more about unclaimed region walls.

Last question/comment - how would you know if you're griefing or not when someone may or may not be working on an abandoned village and you take blocks/torches/etc unless they claim it? I always check with 'rg i' or 'cinfo' just to be sure but if someone didn't claim and/or protect the area how would I know? I'm sure they'd be upset to see things missing and maybe do a modreq to investigate and I'd never know it was someone else's until I get reprimanded for it.

Long post, sorry guys:

TLDR: Is it considered griefing to break a build when it isn't claimed (not obvious homes or custom builds).

- Zilkerpark
OfflineOffline
WallyDonkey
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6R2Vr ... vBJc0vofaw

Re: Unclaimed regions

Post by WallyDonkey »

Yes, breaking anything built by another playing is considered griefing, including breaking blocks to get into an area whether you replace them or not. Claiming large areas with just a simple wall does not claim the entire interior of the wall, however it would be polite to find out what people's plans for the area are before going ahead and building inside them. Destroying the wall itself would count as griefing either way.

Whether a build is active or not, never take blocks/torches/etc from it. It doesn't matter whether there is a region on it or not, someone placed it and it belongs to them. Builds and torches don't magically appear by themselves so if you didn't place it, that's how you know it wasn't yours :)
OfflineOffline
saemai

Post by saemai »

A bit late to the party, but if it is making it hard for you to get through in the area near your base, I would suggest simply speaking to the owner about it. Most likely they will understand and be willing to add gates or doors so that it isn't problematic to you. :)
OfflineOffline
GrannyKaf

Post by GrannyKaf »

saemai wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:15 pm A bit late to the party, but if it is making it hard for you to get through in the area near your base, I would suggest simply speaking to the owner about it. Most likely they will understand and be willing to add gates or doors so that it isn't problematic to you. :)
I agree with your solution saemai but if there is no claim on it wouldn't it mean getting staff involved, as a citizen has no way of knowing who built it?
OfflineOffline
LissaLaine

Post by LissaLaine »

GrannyKaf wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:43 am
saemai wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:15 pm A bit late to the party, but if it is making it hard for you to get through in the area near your base, I would suggest simply speaking to the owner about it. Most likely they will understand and be willing to add gates or doors so that it isn't problematic to you. :)
I agree with your solution saemai but if there is no claim on it wouldn't it mean getting staff involved, as a citizen has no way of knowing who built it?
It's quite easy for a smod+ to come see who placed the blocks. Not a problem :) If you need to know, please ask us!
OfflineOffline